There are a number of factors that contribute to traffic congestion in Belmont.
- The Boston Garden is a 6.5 mile drive
- Logan Airport is a 10.5 mile drive.
- State Roadways Surrounding Belmont
To the North
- Route 2. (1.68 miles of Rout 2 eastbound is in Belmont) A recent Mass DOT Traffic Study indicates that Rt 2 is the worst place in the State for consistent Traffic Congestion. There are five exits off Rout 2 into Belmont.
To the West
- I 95 has 4 major exits that lead into Belmont
To the South
- I 90 the Mass Pike
- When you add the population of Belmont to the population of our bordering communities you get a population figure of 304,000.
Belmont’s Roads and Streets
There are only three locations in town where vehicles can cross the RR grade. These three locations are where we experience the most traffic congestion.
- Waverley Square –Trapelo Road
- Belmont Center –Leonard Street/Concord Ave –The Bridge
- Hills Crossing – Brighton Street –Blanchard Road
The above factors along with school drop offs and pickups account for traffic congestion in Belmont. All of Belmont’s neighboring communities are experiencing the same types of congestion. There are many things that make Belmont a great community and in terms of transportation we are fortunate to have several MBTA bus lines and two commuter rail stops in town.
Whether you are a resident or a commuter that uses the roadways and streets in Belmont, we urge you to drive safely, be patient and obey all traffic laws and rules. Please know that the Belmont Police are out enforcing traffic laws.