What happens if my abuser violates the 209A Order?

Once a 209A Order is issued, violation of any terms of the order is a criminal offense. The police must arrest the abuser if they believe or can see that the terms of the Order were violated. If you do not call the police, you may be able to file an application for criminal complaint on your own at the Clerk's Office in the District Court. A Victim/Witness Advocate can assist you with that process.

It is recommended that if your abuser violates the Order, call the police immediately.