Subject to the direction and control of the Chief of Police, The Sergeant in charge of the Traffic Division for the Belmont Police Department is responsible for the supervision and guidance for all those Officers and non-sworn personnel assigned to his/her division. The Traffic Sergeant is in charge of prosecuting civil and criminal traffic violations at Cambridge District Court. The Traffic Sergeant is also responsible for coordinating and overseeing the motorcycle unit.
The Traffic Division is responsible for the storage of all records of the Belmont Police Department. Members of the Traffic Division are responsible for the investigation of serious motor vehicle accidents, monitoring and enforcement of traffic flow and enforcement of parking.
The Traffic Division is composed of two Sergeants, 2 Secretaries, 16 School Crossing Guards, and 3 Parking Control Officers.
Other duties and responsibilities include:
- Assisting motorists with accident reports
- Crossing school children
- Issuing and monitoring Hackney licenses
- Issuing parking stickers
- Working closely with representatives of the Registry of Motor Vehicles
- Control of the Breath Test unit and all Radar units
- Proactive planning for pedestrian and operator safety
- Control of infant and child car seats
- Control of all traffic and speed signs
The Traffic Division is open Monday through Friday 8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Traffic Safety is a Priority in Belmont
Fees for services:
- Residents of Belmont: No Charge
- $5.00 non-residents
Parking Stickers for municipal parking lot $90.00 per month, merchants in the area only.
Hackney Licenses $10.00 per year
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR COMPLAINTS REGARDING TRAFFIC ISSUES IN BELMONT E-MAIL Sgt. Ben Mailhot or the Traffic Concerns mailbox.